- Have 100% reading participation this summer to avoid the summer slide. Students strive to read 100 hours – that’s 1 hour a day.
- Raise $50K to support our school and teachers. Students ask at least 10 people for a $20 minimum reading sponsorship. [Don’t forget about employer’s providing a corporate match!]
- Does your employer provide a corporate match?
- Visit Turn A Page Book Shop to stock up on books. Mention WCE and they will donate 10% of your proceeds to BOOK IT!
Raffle prizes for all qualified participants include 15 winners for an afternoon of jumping at BOUNCE, Scholastic Bucks, gift cards to Game Works, Mid-Air Adventures, Target and more. The TOP 3 READERS IN EACH GRADE will be awarded an additional 5 raffle tickets and a $10 Scholastic Bucks Gift Card.
The TOP READER IN EACH GRADE and 3 LUCKY RAFFLE WINNERS will be awarded a lunch with Principal Corcoran.
BOOK IT to the CREEK T-Shirt Contest
CALLING ALL ARTISTS:
We want YOU to design the 2018 BOOK IT T-shirt!
• Front design only
• Design MUST INCLUDE the following: “WCE” or “Westerly Creek” and “BOOK IT to the CREEK”
• Design must be a single color [black]
• Use Sharpie, crayon or marker [no pencils]
• Design should be simple and large [intricate or tiny designs do not print well.]
• Designs must be completed by ONE STUDENT only [no partners or parents!]
• Designs should be drawn on a plain white sheet of 8.5 X 11 paper [portrait tall]
• Please print your name and grade on the back in pencil
• Do not fold submission
DEADLINE: Submit your T-shirt design to the front office by August 24, 2018
We want you to design the 2018 BOOK IT t-shirt!
Snap a picture of you reading and you could win!
UNIQUE PICTURE CONTEST: “Where Do you Book It?”
We want to know where you are reading this summer … whether it is at the pool, on a plane, or at the top of Mount Evans. So, snap a picture of you reading and send it to the BOOK IT Committee! Each month, we will feature a few of the most unique pictures on the WCE PTA Facebook page. The most unique picture of all will receive a prize and be awarded at the BOOK IT Celebration in September.
DEADLINE: Email all pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10, 2018
May 17: 2018 BOOK IT calendar comes home
BY May 25: Submit your summer reading goal online
June 2 - September 9: Kids read and track their time
BY August 24: T-shirt designs DUE for the contest
September 10: Tally reading hours and submit pledges
September 28: School-wide BOOK IT celebration
BEYOND BOOKS: ADDITIONAL READING RESOURCES THAT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR BOOK IT TO THE CREEK GOAL
o username: student lunch number
o password: mm/dd/yyyy
Kids A-Z (or download the app)
o Type or click on your child's teacher
o username: child clicks his/her name from the class list
o password: your child should know it, if not contact teachers prior to the end of the year.
The Research shows Summer Reading is Important!
The summer slide is real! In fact, studies show that "regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic level, or previous achievement, children who read four or more books over the summer fare better on reading comprehension tests in the fall than their peers who read one or no books over the summer." (J. Kim 2004)
BOOK IT Goals
Our primary goal is to get EVERY child engaged in this program and reading throughout the summer. We want them to come back to school in the fall prepared to learn! Kids who lose reading skills over the summer can up be two years behind their classmates by the end of 6th grade. We hope it will also help establish reading as a priority and a habit in our kids! In addition to the amazing impact on our kids’ reading proficiency, there is an important financial benefit to BOOK IT. Last year, the kids’ reading performance earned WCE close to $50,000 in donations from parents, family and friends. Please help us do even better this year, and use BOOK IT as a way to teach our kids the value of hard work and giving back to their community.
The 2018 BOOK IT Committee
Email us: email@example.com